Launched in 1994 as the Investor Visa Route and rebranded in 2008 as The Tier 1 (Investor) Visa, the UK Investor Visa offers a residency permit and can lead to Permanent Residence (PR), also known in the UK as Indefinite Leave To Remain (ILR), and eventually to Citizenship.
Considered to be one of the top 5 Residence by Investment programs in the world, the UK Tier 1 Investor Visa attracts HNWI seeking a better quality of life and in particular good education offerings for their children, as well as those who want to acquire UK Citizenship and are prepared to meet specific minimum-stay requirements over a 6-year period. The UK is also an attractive tax regime for individuals who are prepared to meet the requirements to become non-domiciled residents.
To qualify for the Tier 1 Visa, you are required to make an investment of at least £2m in shares or bonds of active and trading UK-registered companies. Your dependants are allowed to reside, work and study in the UK. After 3 years you can apply for a 2-year extension, and after year 5, once you have met certain minimum stay requirements over the 5-year period, you are entitled to apply for PR. If you are successful, after year 6 you can apply for Citizenship.
To qualify for the Tier 1 Visa, you are required to make an investment of at least £2m in shares or bonds of active and trading UK-registered companies.
Your dependants are allowed to reside, work and study in the UK. After 3 years you can apply for a 2-year extension, and after year 5, once you have met certain minimum stay requirements over the 5-year period, you are entitled to apply for PR.
If you are successful, after year 6 you can apply for Citizenship.
From a quality-of-life perspective, beyond Law & Order, the NHS provides free healthcare to all and has some of the world’s best hospitals. Schools and universities are also among the best, and the country is unrivalled in Art, Culture and Sport. What is more, the natural beauty in every corner of this remarkable island is simply astounding. From a business viewpoint, Britain is a great place to work, and benefits from excellent logistics and other essential services, not to mention its global links. Despite the negative impacts of Brexit, the innovative will find that there are more and more clear new opportunities presenting as the dust settles.
To qualify for the UK Tier 1 Visa, applicants must:
- Be 18 years old or over
- Be of good character with no criminal record and in good health
- Be prepared to invest at least £2 million in share capital or loan capital in a UK company
- Prove that i) the investment funds belong to you or your spouse or partner ii) the funds have been held for at least 2 years or you meet the Home Office’s source of funds rules and iii) the funds are freely available to spend and invest in the UK
- Open a UK bank account with a regulated UK bank
- Invest the full sum within three months of the date of arrival in the UK, or the date of approval
And the benefits
- Family members can also qualify for a residency permit
- Leads to PR and Citizenship
- Fast processing time – The visa is usually granted within 3 weeks of the application
- All nationalities can apply
- Dependent can travel to or from the UK without limitation
- Long term capitalisation on your investment
- Tax advantages for non-domicile residents
For more information on the UK Citizenship by Investment program, please click on the enquiry form button and complete the short enquiry form and one of our specialist advisors will be in contact.